MARRIAGE LICENSING INFORMATION
FOR ST THOMAS & THE US VIRGIN ISLANDS
Virgin Island Marriage License Information
Two forms are needed for you to make it official
in St. Thomas & the US Virgin Islands.
You may print out both of the applications needed here but first make sure you have Adobe Reader. If not you can download the latest Adobe Reader free click here.
A certified check or postal money order for $200.00 made out to the Superior Court of the US Virgin Islands must accompany the application. $100 for the application fee and $100 for the license fee.
An Application for Marriage License and License and Certificate of Marriage are the two forms you will need to print and fill out. Pay special attention and follow the instructions carefully as the Territorial Court is very strict about the exactness of the forms. Forms that do not comply with instructions will not be accepted. The applications must reach the court house office a minimum of 8 days prior to the wedding.
BOTH FORMS MUST BE TYPED OR IN VERY NEAT PRINT
On both of these forms you may type right on this form on your computer and print it out. Just “X” out of the little window that pops up saying you cannot save the document and type in your information.
APPLICATION FOR ST THOMAS MARRIAGE LICENSE
Click here and print out an Application for a Marriage License
- This form must be filled out in its entirety by BOTH of you.
- Make sure that under “Permanent Residence” and “Usual Residence” you provide your complete physical address with zip code.
- Do not use any abbreviations, abbreviations for states are not accepted.
- Previous marital status refers to that of the individuals applying for a license.
- This form must be signed by each of you in the proper columns for groom + bride.
- The lines “License issued this..”, “Filed this..” + “By Deputy Clerk are to be left blank.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATE OF MARRIAGE
Click here and print out the License and Certificate of Marriage
- Lines 1-16 (Groom – Bride – and Signature sections) Groom to sign #15 and Bride to sign #16 and 27-30 (bottom Groom & Bride sections must be filled out by both you and your fiancé.)
- Please note on lines 4a and 11a the CITY AND STATE is required.
- Please note on lines 4b and 11b the month must be spelled out.
- Please TYPE or Print neatly and do not use any abbreviations.
- The complete street address, city and zip code are required on lines 3a and 10a.
- The form must be signed by each of you.
Applicants should attach a letter with the application detailing:
- Dates of visit to the island.
- The date you plan to pick up your marriage license.
- If either party is divorced, a *CERTIFIED copy of divorce decree must accompany the application.
- If former partner is deceased, a *CERTIFIED copy of the death certificate must accompany the application. Divorce decrees and death certificates must be in english.
- *A”CERTIFIED copy” is stamped with the raised seal from the court where your divorce was issued.
The Superior court must receive your marriage license application at least 8 days prior to you picking up your license on St Thomas. Information and certified check or postal money order for $200 should be mailed to:
The Superior Court of the Virgin Islands
Alexander A. Farrelly Justice Center
P.O. Box 70
St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands 00804
Federal Express Address:
Clerk of Superiorl Court
The Superior Court of the Virgin Islands
US Virgin Islands 00804
Both of you must pick up your marriage license in person from the Superior Court in St. Thomas, with a form of photo identification and your copy of the postal money order reciept. Protect yourself by photostating everything you mail to the superior court and bring it with you when you pick up your marriage license.
The Superior Court is located in the Alexander Farrely Justice Complex on the waterfront in Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas (Federal Building). The court is open 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday thru Friday and 10 a.m. to 12 noon on Saturdays.
Make sure you talk to Pam about holidays or Sundays when the court is closed.
The Virgin Island has many holidays.
You may also call The Superior Court of the Virgin Islands:
Ph: (340) 774-6680 extension 6207
or (340) 693-6435
Fax: (340) 777-8254
“In spite of the fact that most of it was last minute, your suggestions and attention to detail really made it a day that we will always remember.
The bouquet–freshly picked tropical flowers–and the delicately decorated cake were exactly what we wanted. Magens Bay was an absolutely gorgeous setting, too. Catching sight of dolphins breaching those crystal blue waters was the perfect touch of “good luck.” And you even went out of your way to find Liz’s favorite wine!! How sweet!
We really did have so much fun, and it was such a memorable morning for us both. Please extend our warmest thanks to Sage and Jennifer, as well. We really did have the perfect wedding party!
Steve and Liz L.”
PO BOX 10235
ST Thomas, US Virgin Islands 00801